Updated: Mar 23, 2020
With the Corona Virus, earthquakes, floods and other difficulties around us, families need positive energy. We need positive energy because positive energy produces positive thought and positive thought produces positive action. If we have positive action, then our families are at peace regardless of what trials are around us. Children respond better with positive action and calmness and our homes can be a place of refuge. Positive action will also push away negative energy which tends to pull us down emotionally.
William James, a pioneering American psychologist and philosopher, wrote, “The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.”
Albert Pooley, (President and Founder of NAFFA) said: Attitude greatly affects our ability to learn and understand, particularly about ourselves and our potential. A proper and positive attitude can help us:
• Overcome challenges and rise above trials
• Be happier and make good choices
• Create joy and peace in our life
• Perform our work more efficiently
• Put other people at ease
• Encourage communication and interaction
We learn attitude from our family, friends, culture and environment. Attitude is more powerful than our past, our failures, education, culture, money or even accomplishments and by examining our attitudes often, we may find we need to improve our behavior.”
We can choose a positive attitude as Al Pooley promotes and we can change our inner attitude. When we are experiencing great trials, we can have positive energy and be positive thinkers. As we practice this positive thought, we will see life much differently even though we are experiencing these great trials. At times our lives may seem hopeless with trials too much to bear but with a determination to keep ourselves positive, our spirits can soar.
The late Zig Ziglar said: “You cannot tailor-make the situations in life, but you can tailor-make the attitudes to fit those situations.”
How can we continue to keep happy, healthy and calm in our homes so we can continue positive thoughts? A few simple tips can help us.
1. Keep uplifting music, movies and books at home: If we continue to listen or watch negative or adverse entertainment, including video games, then our negative energy goes up which then translates into negative thought. That’s why reading positive literature (scripture books and uplifting stories) each night is so important. This can counter act the entire negativity we hear and see. Keep uplifting entertainment in the home as well as reading up lifting words and your home will feel at peace.
2. Keep watch of what we say: Hurtful words can be as swords to our spirits. If all we hear are complaints and disparaging words, then negative energy is created which creates negative thought. Name calling and swearing is out. Uplifting words encourages positive energy. We can’t always be perfect but if we always try, then we are moving in a positive direction.
3. Remember to have fun: When times are tough, we still can remember to have fun. There was a video played on the news seeing a father and son throw a baseball to each other in the street a few days after the 9/11 attack. Investing in fun time is a requirement for positive energy which lightens the emotional load for the whole family.
4. Do Service for Others: Participating in selfless service for others who are in need of help can greatly boost our spirits. There are many elderly and disabled people who can use a friendly visit, help with groceries or a cleaner house during this difficult time. Visiting neighbors around us to check on their welfare is a great attitude booster. Even with social distancing, we can talk at doorways and through windows.
Having to stay home from work with no real interruption has been a blessing in disguise for some. More family time and children will have fond memories and positive feelings when they are at home. Making homes a refuge with positive energy and thought along with service, will get us through the difficult times. The power of positive thought is necessary for happy, healthy and calm families.